Monday, June 14, 2010

BarefootFae: Northern Lights Earrings


I've been playing a bit with wire-wrapping and experimenting with how different patinas can completely change the look of both glass and gemstones. It really is interesting to watch. I've set up a small tupperware box with two pieces of string inside to suspend my piece over a sake cup full of ammonia. When I place the piece on the string, I close it up and watch, checking once every hour, on the progression of the patina. As it shifts from fresh, rosy copper to dark, chocolaty brown the depth of color in the beads themselves is enhanced. If inclined, you can even let the patina take over until all the wire has turned a deep, turquoise green. These earrings I stopped at dark-dark brown, but I will show some more experiments later.

No comments:

Post a Comment